The following steps will assist you in checking your e-mail account settings in Outlook 2016:
1. In Outlook 2016 select File, followed by Account Settings.
2. Click on Add and remove accounts or change existing connection settings.
3. Under the E-mail tab, highlight your e-mail account and select Change.
4. Locate Incoming Server and set this to: mail.yourdomain (e.g.: mail.example.com)
5. Locate Outgoing Server (SMTP) and set this to: mail.yourdomain (e.g.: mail.example.com)
6. Ensure that your User Name is your e-mail address (e.g.: email@example.com)
7. Click on the More Settings button.
8. When next box appears, select the Outgoing Server tab:
- Place a tick in the box labelled My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Ensure that the option Use same settings as my incoming server is selected.
9. Select the Advanced tab:
- Set both drop-down fields labelled Use the following type of encrypted connection to None.
- Set the Incoming server port to: 110 (for POP accounts) or 143 (for IMAP accounts)
- Set the Outgoing server port to: 587
10. Click OK.
11. You will be taken back at the Internet E-mail Settings window. Click Next. Once Outlook has finished testing your settings, click on Close.
12. Click Finish to save the changes.
Note: This applies to both POP / POP3 and IMAP accounts.