You may find that you want to create a website with very specific features such as a blog, gallery or shopping cart. The easiest way to do this is to use a Content Management System (CMS) which caters for this particular purpose.
The Softaculous Apps Installer, located in cPanel, is designed to help you choose from a variety of specialised CMS apps, which includes well-known titles such as Wordpress, Joomla, phpBB and Magento. The apps are sorted according to category, allowing you to compare each and decide which will meet your requirements.
Note: Due to the amount of resources that many CMS apps use, it would be best to ensure that you are on the Midway hosting package or higher.
To view the available CMS apps, log in to your cPanel account; scroll down to the Software/Services menu and click on Softaculous. This will launch the Softaculous Apps Installer from which you can install your preferred CMS app. You can either select your app from the top scripts. The various apps are also sorted by category on the left-hand side of the window.
Once you have selected your preferred app, you will be prompted for the following information:
- Choose Protocol: Select https://.
- Choose Domain: Your domain name will be listed in this field.
- In Directory: This allows you to choose the folder in which the app must be installed. If this is to be your main website, then you should clear this field.
- Database Name: Most apps make use of a database in order to function and Softaculous will automatically create one during the installation.
Each CMS app will also give you other options which you can configure. These options will vary from one app to the next and will fall under any one of the following headings:
- Store Settings
- Board Settings
- Site Settings
- Gallery Settings
These options are usually nothing more than a few customisations to be set up when the app is installed.
- Admin Username: Enter the name that you will use when logging in to the administration section of your site. For security reasons, it is best not to use admin as your user name.
- Admin Password: Choose a password for the administration section. For guidelines on passwords, please view the following article.
- Admin Email: This is the e-mail address to which login details and notices will be sent. Please make a note of both this and your login details as we will not be able to retrieve this information for you.
- Select Language: Choose the language that your website should be published in.
- Disable Update Notifications: Whenever a new update is available for your site, you will receive an e-mail with an update notice. It is important that the updates be installed as soon as possible since they include bug fixes and security patches designed to protect your site from malicious visitors. Disabling this option is not recommended.
- Auto Upgrade: This is a handy option which will ensure that new updates are installed as they become available. However, if you decide to make use of 3rd-party plugins in your site then it is usually best to update your site manually as some updates may cause problems with plugins that may not yet be compatible with the latest version of your CMS app.
- Automated Backups: Softaculous can automatically generate a backup of your website. You have the option to choose how often this is done.
- Backup Rotation: If you specify a limit on the number of backups to be kept then the oldest one will automatically be removed once the limit is reached. Please remember that these backups utilise the disk space allocated to your hosting package.
Email installation details to: Entering your e-mail address here will result in you receiving a confirmation e-mail once your CMS app has been installed.
Once you have entered the above mentioned information, click on the Install button. The installation of your app may take several minutes. When complete, you will be able to log in to your administration panel and begin working on your website.