One of the features within cPanel is the ability to upload files to your hosting account.
To upload a file, you will need to do the following:
1. Log in to cPanel.
2. Scroll down to the Files section and click on File Manager.
3. The File Manager will be launched in a new browser tab and will display the contents of your hosting account (also referred to as the Home directory). You will see a folder called public_html; this is the folder where your website files are stored.
4. Open the public_html folder and click on the Upload icon from the toolbar at the top of the page. A new tab with the heading Upload Files will open.
5. Click on the Choose File button; browse to and select the file that you wish to upload. Click Open to begin the upload.
6. A small progress bar will open at the bottom right-hand side of the page which will confirm when the file has been uploaded.
7. To view the file which you have uploaded, click on the link labelled <-- Go Back to “/home/example/public_html”, where example is your cPanel user name.
8. You will be taken back to the File Manager window which will display the newly-uploaded file(s).
If you have a large number of files to upload, then it would be best to compress the files into a Zip archive before using File Manager.
If you have zipped your files, then there are a few additional steps to follow:
1. Upload the Zip archive containing your files (as per the steps above).
2. Once the archive has been uploaded and you have been taken back to File Manager, right-click on the file and select Extract.
3. You will be prompted to confirm the directory into which the files should be placed. Ensure that the path is set to /public_html. Once you have confirmed the path, click Extract file(s).
4. A progress indicator will be displayed, showing how far the extraction process is.
5. When the extraction is complete, you will be shown the Extraction Results. Click on the Close button to be taken back to the File Manager.
Note: In order for the server to recognise the home page of your website, the home page file must conform to a specific naming convention.
The page should be named one of the following:
The file names above are case-sensitive. Should the server not find your home page, then a notice titled Forbidden will be displayed.