Top-level domains are those which have a single suffix (e.g: .com or .net). However, this guide also applies to certain second-level domains, such as .za.com as well).
Before transferring your domain, it is very important that you check the following:
- If you have a website, ensure that either you or your web designer has obtained a copy of the site, along with the database (where applicable).
- Ensure that you have an up-to-date list of all e-mail accounts and passwords linked to your domain.
- Confirm whether there are any specific DNS records which need to be included.
- Ask your current hosting provider for the EPP authorisation code.
Once you have confirmed the above, it will be safe to initiate the transfer. You will need to ensure that the above services are added prior to the authorisation of the transfer in order to avoid any downtime.
The following steps will assist you in transferring your Top Level Domain domain to SA Domain Internet Services:
1. You will first need to register an account (if you already have an account with SA Domain, you may skip this step). This can be done from our home page by clicking on the Account button at the top right-hand side of the page and selecting Register. Once you have entered your contact details, click on the Register button to create your account.
2. Log in to the Client Area.
3. Click on the Domains link in the menu, followed by Transfer a Domains to us.
4. On the Transfer Domain page, enter your domain name; enter the Authorization Code field empty and click on the Add to Cart button.
A check will be performed to see if your domain is eligible for transfer.
Why would my domain not be available for transfer?
Top Level Domains, such as those that end in .com or .net as well as many other international domain types cannot be transferred during the first sixty days after registration or renewal. This also applies to the first sixty days after the renewal date. Most hosting providers will also "lock" domains as a security measure. Before transferring your domain, your hosting provider will need to unlock it. If your domain has expired, then it will need to be renewed before it can be transferred.
Note: All top-level domain transfers incur a transfer fee. This fee depends on the type of domain that you wish to transfer (e.g.: .com or .net) and will go towards the next renewal of your domain. A list of domain transfer fees is available here.
5. On the Domains Configuration page, you will be prompted to select a hosting package or specify custom name servers.
5.1 If you would like SA Domain to host your e-mail and / or website, do the following:
- Click on [No Hosting! Click to Add].
- The package that you select will be determined largely by the number of e-mail accounts that you need as well as the requirements of your website. Click on the Order Now button for the hosting package that you wish to select.
- On the Choose a Domain page, select Use a domain already in my shopping cart and click on the Use button.
- On the Configure page, you can decide whether you should be invoiced monthly or every 12 months from the Choose Billing Cycle field. Additional services, such as SSL certificates and advanced spam services can also be added on this page.
- Once you have made your selection(s), click on the Continue button. This will take you to Step 7.
5.2 If you will be using your own name servers, then you can specify them on the Domains Configuration page.
6. Once you have your name servers or you simply want to transfer the domain only, click on Continue.
7. On the Review & Checkout page, you can review your order. If you wish to add additional services, select Continue Shopping. Otherwise, click on Checkout.
8. On the Checkout page, you will be asked to confirm the contact / registrant information for the domain. You can also select your preferred method of payment. Once you have made your selections, click on Complete Order.
9. If you opted to add a hosting package to your order, an invoice will be generated which will include a reference number and a list of payment options. Once our accounts department has received confirmation of payment, the transfer of your domain will be initiated.
You are welcome to forward confirmation of your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When the transfer has been initiated, either you or your current hosting provider will receive an e-mail stating that your domain is pending transfer (see the example below).
If you receive the e-mail, then you can authorise the transfer by clicking on the link provided in the message and entering the EPP authorisation code if prompted to do so (see below).
If you do not, then it may mean that your current hosting provider will need to authorise the transfer on your behalf. Depending on your hosting provider's cancellation policy, you may need to provide them with a written request so that they do not deny the transfer. There is a five-day window in which the transfer must be approved. Should no response be received within this period or the transfer denied, then a new transfer request will need to be sent.
Should you have any queries regarding the transfer, feel free to contact our support team on 021 565 0018 or at email@example.com.